IT Support Technician
Cambridge Helpdesk provides a complete outsourced IT solution for businesses with one to 50 staff. We pride ourselves on being helpful, responsive and understanding how each of our customers work.
Technology is constantly evolving, so what we're working on today may not even be used in five years time. What does stay the same is that IT staff need to help provide and support the most effective solutions for businesses. Most of what we support we also use ourselves in-house. We're not interested in selling just any old IT solutions to our customers - a long term partnership is far more important to us than a onetime sale.
For an IT Support Technician this scenario is priceless. It gives you the opportunity to work closely with some amazing industry leaders. Each of the businesses we support is led by a real world Entrepreneur and they trust us to advise and help them with their IT. This means you have exposure to multiple industry sectors and different working styles.
No two days are the same. One minute you could be installing a VoIP system, the next troubleshooting some PHP code and then end up helping a customer in Mexico access their files via their iPad.
You will be required to work from a range of locations so a driving licence is essential.
The primary role of the IT Support Technician is to provide first line technical support to customers on a wide range of technical issues.
The role will be mainly based at head office providing IT Support remotely to customers. There may be some field based work on customer premises within Cambridgeshire and surrounding counties.
- Answering the support line and responding to helpdesk tickets
- Providing technical support to customers - remotely and onsite
- Maintaining documentation
- Configuring and installing new IT equipment
- Maintaining and updating existing IT systems
- Processing deliveries
- Monitoring in-house alerting systems
To be considered, you must have:
- At least two year’s IT support/helpdesk experience
- Experience of working with and troubleshooting Microsoft Windows based systems, including Small Business Server, Windows XP, 7 and 8
- Experience of using and supporting Microsoft Office 2010-2013, in particular Outlook
- Working knowledge of MAC, Linux and Web technologies
- A good understanding of TCP/IP
- Good level of general education, including Maths, English and ICT
- A valid driving licence and access to your own car
Any of the following would also be advantageous
- Understanding of DNS and Domain Name Management
- Supporting Microsoft Exchange and SQL
- Experience of working with Linux, Apache, mySQL and PHP (aka: LAMP)
You should be patient and helpful. As an IT Support Technician, you must be an excellent communicator, with a strong command of English, good problem solving skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Between £16,000 to £20,000 per annum
- 20 days holiday per year plus bank holidays
- There's plenty of scope to learn on the job plus the opportunity to take exams for Microsoft, Apple, CompTIA and VoIP.